There seem to be a few media freaks at work, or more precisely, Media Centre and Home Server freaks. Now that I have moved I’m looking at getting into this stuff myself. I’m interested in Media Centre because I’m pretty much sick of normal television – there are a few shows that I like and I plan to record them so I can watch them on-demand.
Pretty much what I am after is a total experience:
- Media Centre connected to the television.
- Streaming down lots of YouTube (and YouTube-like) goodness.
- Integrated program guide.
- Foxtel integrated if I decide it is worth it.
- Pulling movies/music/pictures from Home Server across the network.
- Home Server
- I’m thinking about getting the HP one that is scheduled to come out soon.
- I won’t buy it if it is too expensive in Australia or if they do something to break add-ins (I don’t want to be locked out of adding cool features to the system just because they didn’t come from HP).
- Home Automation
- This is really just to play since I don’t have anything to automate. Although it would be cool if I could get Home Server to do my laundry. Hrmm🙂
I was talking to the guys at the water cooler (our internal mailing list) and gave them these requirements for my Media Centre system, and they came back with a range of options, but it looks like I could get what I want for under AUD$1500 (if I look past Foxtel for the moment).
If I handed you AUD$1500 to buy me a Media Centre machine, what would you buy?