Fixing Team Project Creation issues after TFS migration.

For the last two hours I’ve been battling with a side effect from a Team Project migration. I actually did a hardware and domain move in one go (not really documented) and its been a bit hairy.

The main issue I came across was after I had everything setup I couldn’t create a new team project because it failed whilst trying to create the portal site.

Of course, because I was in undocumented territory I was making do with what the TFS team provided. In their instructions they say that you need to hook up the STS_Content_TFS database, however in my installation it was already there (because I am doing a 2 in 1 move presumably). Anyway, I decided not to delete and re-add it, and I simply went on to the next step after confirming that the settings they requested were the same.

Well it turns out that in the process of adding the STS_Content_TFS database it does some processing around correctly hooking up the sites for URL mapping (this is what I observed anyway).

I ended up going in and removing the content database setup and redoing it and suddenly everything started working. Phew!

Now I just need to decide whether I want to recommend this approach to the client. While everything moved across the implications of a domain move on a running development team are pretty serious I feel.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s