My blog is like a product, and each blog post I write is like a feature, although admittedly some features are more important than others. Like any product, there is a backlog of features that I would like to add but they either aren’t sufficiently defined or there isn’t sufficient resources to add them.
I usually come up with one or two post ideas to add to this blog every day, but I usually don’t get a chance to add them because I am too busy coding or desperately in need of sleep. Some posts however I think could be genuinely useful but I think I would like feedback from you (my customer) on how to prioritise the backlog.
What I propose is this – on a regular basis I post a “procrastination backlog” like this which lists out all the post ideas that I currently have loaded onto my stack. If there is something you are particularly interested in – let me know and I’ll devote some time to writing it up, if I don’t hear from you the list will build and I will knock things off them in whatever order I see fit.
My current procrastination backlog looks like this:
- Write a post about implementing a rolling log file trace listener that works with the System.Diagnostics API.
- Write a post about creating a trace listener that creates time stamped log files like IIS.
- Write a post about how to use the data contract serializer to store LINQ to SQL results in out-of-process/SQL ASP.NET session state.
- Write a post on how to host the PowerShell runtime in your own application and use it as a macro language.
- Write a post on how to expose application specific data via a PSProvider in PowerShell, and how to write custom Cmdlet’s.
- Write a post on how to use PowerShell to control Virtual Server 2005 to backup virtualised TFS environments.
- Write a rant about how the design process being separated from the development process leads to re-work and scheduling delays.
- Write a post on using Team Foundation Server for release management based on a slide deck I already have.
- See whether the world needs a post on how to close a NamedPipesServerStream.
Want to add something to the list? Anything need to be a higher priority? Let me know via comments – I’m going to bed!